The mission of the small group ministry at First Presbyterian Church is:
An intentional gathering of 5-12 people who covenant to:
- Reflect Jesus Christ’s love through study, mutual support, joint service, and fellowship
- Deepen the spirituality of each participant
- Strengthen community within the group
As you read these words of the mission statement they may at first seem like words on paper. But if you look closer, and use your imagination, the words of the mission statement come to life. When people gather in small groups, the time spent together allows faith to come alive. As people meet in a small group setting, God’s Word is read, joys and sorrows are shared, and the members learn to care for one another. As people wrestle with life’s challenges, support is offered in so many creative ways. In a safe environment, raw doubts are raised, honest questions are asked, and in the midst of it, Christ’s love shines through.
Embers of coals that are separated in a fire will slowly die. Gather the coals together and they will give life and warmth to one another and will light up the darkness in the world. We are coals that gather together to provide life and warmth to one another and to give light to the world.
Come, be a part of a small group where people…
- “love one another” (John 13:34)
- “accept one another” (Romans 5:17)
- “pray for one another” (James 5:16)
- “bear one another’s burdens” (Galatians 6:2)
- “encourage one another” ( Ephesians 5:21)
- “spur one another toward love and good deeds” (Hebrews 10:24)
For more information on how you can be a part of a small group at First Presbyterian Church, contact Wendy Smith at 843-8041.