In 1989 First Presbyterian Church (FPC) received a bequest from Frank Smith to establish a ministry for the benefit of the needy of York City. After careful and prayerful study to determine how best to carry out the wishes of the donor, FPC started the Caring Company and hired a director to provide leadership for the organization. The Caring Company is overseen by a director and an advisory committee comprised of FPC members.
The Caring Company is an outreach ministry of that serves those in need in York City and York County. Every attempt is made to coordinate the services the Caring Company provides with other agencies in York serving the client to avoid duplication of services and to insure that their needs will be met. Other social service agencies in the community often refer people to the Caring Company.
The Caring Company is staffed by a director, two part-time receptionists/utility intake workers, and three volunteers.
The services that the Caring Company provides include:
- Food assistance – on average the Caring Company provides about 150 families/450 family members with food each month. (In 2012, the Caring Company distributed over 24,000 pounds of food to 1,757 households with 5,331 household members.)
- Utility relief – we enroll First Energy (Met-Ed) and Columbia Gas customers into programs that provide debt relief and monthly credits for utility customers with limited incomes. (In 2012, we were able to obtain over $600,000 in debt relief and monthly credits for 543 families with 1,665 family members.) We also apply for grants to Dollar Energy Fund for those that have had service terminated, are in threat of termination, or for those that are over income for the aforementioned programs offered by First Energy and Columbia Gas. (In 2012, we helped 165 families/517 family members obtain over $60,000 in Dollar Energy Fund grants.)
- Prescription medications – the Caring Company provides vouchers for prescription medications; these vouchers are accepted by a large number of pharmacies in York. Our largest partner for prescription help is Healthy Community Pharmacy, which provides prescription medications at greatly reduced costs. (In 2012, the Caring Company wrote 219 vouchers for 657 prescription medications valued at over $7,000.)
- Referral services – to other agencies that may be able to help our clients.
The Caring Company is operated out of the FPC offices Monday to Thursday 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM. To reach the Caring Company call: 717-848-8869
How Can I Help?
- Volunteer – Volunteer opportunities include: helping unload/shelve food shipments; packing food bags for clients; training for help with utility grants to aid our clients; selling food/gift cards on Sunday mornings to generate valuable revenue for the Caring Company. Contact the Caring Company to volunteer your time.
- Donate – Food donations can be made at the church on Sunday mornings (by the nursery) or during the week in the Caring Company office. Please read the church Weekly Announcements for information about food items that we may have in short supply.
- Contribute – The easiest way to contribute is by purchasing Giant “Cash for Causes” and/or Weis food/gift cards. These cards are gift cards and can be used to purchase the groceries and gas that most of us already buy. For each $20 card you purchase, $1 will go to the Caring Company at no additional cost to you. In addition, direct monetary contributions can be made to the “Caring Company, First Presbyterian Church”.